Jávácska is a complex educational platform (called Jávácska
platform) which we propose for teaching programming nowadays. The
"Fantastic Programming" is a free downloadable sci-fi novel which was
written for educational purposes by Erika and Norbert Bátfai. In this book
the deductive information technology knowledge material is carried partly by the
book itself and partly by the Jávácska study circle organized aside. The sci-fi story can be seen as a bearing signal through an engineer's eyes.
This bearer carries IT knowledge of our book. Accordingly, in
our case studying and entertainment are not separable activities.
The Jávácska platform is based on Java 2 platform. It contains LEGO® robot,
J2ME, J2SE and J2EE Servlet programming materials. Jávácska has developed
within the framework of a competition for "Development of Innovative
Technological Solutions Promoting the Information Society" by
Ministry of Informatics and Communications and
Ministry of Education
of Hungary. The
title of the competition was "GNU Jávácska - Internet only for children" and
its goal was to argue and to develop novel education methods/materials.
Results of this competition can be found in the Jávácska vortal at URL
(unfortunately only in Hungarian). Jávácska
vortal is an informatics portal for children. That is a vertical web portal.
Primary purpose of this project produces content development for teaching informatics. This process is based on school and public libraries, study circles and telecottages.
Keywords: programming, teaching, information society, API, Java, J2EE, J2SE, J2ME, MIDlet, Servlet, Applet, LEGO® Mindstorms™, Robotics Invention System, leJOS, Jávácska, Fantastic Programming, RobIGOR
Jávácska started in 2000.
- We suppose that whoever uses the Jávácska platform will have information technology knowledge.
- Jávácska shows a sample of a new (network) communal behaviour.
- The Fantastic programming series handed down traditional reading. In the first part there are basics of informatics and mathematics, biology, physics popular science material.
- Jávácska is a completely modern educational form idea, sample programs, novel, and subsidiaries of study circles are: implementation independence content development.
- The vortal is digital educational form.
- The information technology knowledge material can be attained at the personal rate as training with Jávácska mailing list and mentors' help.
- Whoever uses Jávácska materials will have object-oriented view. The cleverer 'bit imp' will get to know competitive programming language. Their future may be based on this knowledge and they may be teleworkers.
Jávácska is like e-Learning. It supports information technology knowledge by lots of programmes and numerous tasks. It is a unique Hungarian content development and promotes forming cultural resource centres. Jávácska educates by entertainment and develops some key competencies: information and communication technology (ICT), foreign languages, basic competencies in mathematics, science and technology, learning to learn.
Summary it is a complex educational platform which we propose for teaching programming nowadays. The written deductive information technology knowledge material rests on an 11-year-old girl's sci-fi, biology, physical popular science blog. The blog, vortal and subsidiaries of study circles get unique educational form. Written matter gives the foundation-stone minimal knowledge. The vortal and subsidiaries of study circles enlarge it. All of them stay public and school libraries, elementary schools and circles of friends. We can use Jávácska platform as training with the mailing list and mentors' help.
University and National Library, University of Debrecen
Jávácska project leader: Dr. Virágos Márta
Bátfai Erika, Bátfai Norbert email@example.com